Updated as of February 1, 2014
Thank you for your trust in Alcon Laboratories, Inc. and our affiliates ("Alcon"), and for taking the time to read our Privacy Statement. Alcon Laboratories Inc. together with our affiliates, constitute the Eye Care Division of the Novartis Group and are collectively referred to as "Alcon" in this Privacy Statement.
This Privacy Statement applies to information collected through this website and any mobile sites, applications, widgets, and other interactive features that link to this Privacy Statement. This Privacy Statement explains how Alcon uses and discloses the information we collect from you through our websites, mobile applications, social media forums, and other services, both offline and online, that link to, incorporate, or for which you are provided a copy of this Privacy Statement (collectively, the "Services"), and the choices you have about how we use that information.
What Information Do We Collect from You Through the Services?
- Information You Provide: We collect any information that you voluntarily provide when you use the Services, such as when you register for an Alcon program or service, participate in a survey, provide a testimonial, order a product, or contact us with a question, comment, or request. The types of information that you provide is based on the specific function of the Service that you use or the Alcon program or service for which you register, and might include your name, mailing address, age, birth date, gender, email address, mobile phone number, information about your medical conditions, product usage and preferences.
- Information Automatically Collected From You: We and our service providers may use "cookies" – small text files saved on your computer or mobile device by our servers – or similar technologies to over time automatically collect and store information about your usage of the Services and third-party websites that have a business relationship with our service providers, such as your Internet Protocol address, your web browser type, the webpages you access through the Services, the webpages you view immediately before and after you access the Services, the type of device you use to access the Services, and the search terms you enter. These technologies allow us to generate statistics about what content our user's access and how our users navigate through the Services, to recognize you and personalize your experiences when using the Services, and to provide you with advertisements targeted to your interests when you access the Services using the same computer or mobile device (commonly referred to as "Targeted Advertisements").
- Precise Real-Time Location Information from Your Mobile Device: Our mobile applications may collect precise, real-time information about the location of your mobile device (e.g., through your device's global positioning system capability), but only with your express consent. Once you have consented to the collection of this information, you may adjust this consent by managing your Location Services preferences through the settings of your mobile device.
How Do We Use Your Information?
When you provide information to us through the Services, such as when you register for an Alcon program or service, we typically will explain at that point how we will use the information you provide. In addition to using the information we collect from you through the Services to deliver the programs, services, or products you request, we, as well as our subsidiaries and affiliates, together and separately, may use that information for the following purposes:
- to generate and analyze statistics about your access to and use of the Services;
- to provide you with information about the Services, other Alcon products, programs, or services, any of your accounts, and required notices;
- to deliver Targeted Advertisements and other marketing communications, promotional materials, and opportunities to participate in polls or surveys that you request or that may be of interest to you; for example, if you view a webpage about a particular health condition, we or our service providers may later display an advertisement for a related product on a different webpage that you visit through the Services or another website that has a relationship with our service provider; to better tailor the content offered through the Services to users' interests;
- to help us, our subsidiaries and affiliates within the Novartis global group, and our business partners better understand our audiences, evaluate user interest in the Services, improve the Services, and perform other market research activities;
- to customize your experience when using the Services, such as by providing interactive or personalized elements and content based on your interests; to prevent and detect fraud, infringement, and other potential misuse of the Services; and
- to protect Alcon's legal interests.
We may allow you to participate in sweepstakes, contests and similar promotions, and to administer these activities. Some of these activities have additional rules, which could contain additional information about how we use and disclose your personal information, so we suggest that you read these rules carefully.
We may provide services that permit you to manage your families eye care appointments, by using this functionality you are telling us that you are entitled to use and provide us with any of your family member's personal information, including health information that you provide to us.
We, as well as our subsidiaries and affiliates and companies within the Novartis global group, together and separately, also may combine, aggregate, or anonymize any of the information collected from or about you through the Services, offline, or from any other source for any of these purposes.
When and to Whom Do We Disclose Your Information?
We, as well as our subsidiaries and affiliates, and companies within the Novartis global group together and separately, may disclose the information you provide and the information automatically collected from or about you through the Services:
- to outside vendors, professional advisors, and companies that provide products and services, such as those that fulfill requests for information, answer telephone calls, administer specific programs or projects such as newsletters, assist in research and development, or deliver Targeted Advertisements or other marketing communications, promotional materials, or opportunities to participate in polls or surveys through the Services, third-party websites, or other forums or media; to business partners who sell, market, or offer products or services jointly with Alcon or with our subsidiaries or affiliates and companies within the Novartis global group;
- if you are a health care provider or consumer, to deliver marketing communications, promotional materials, or products that may be of interest to you;
- as required by law, such as to law enforcement, to health authorities to report possible adverse events, during government inspections or audits, as ordered or directed by courts or other governmental agencies, or in order to comply with a subpoena or other legal process;
- when we believe in good faith that disclosure is necessary to protect legal rights or the security or integrity of the Services; protect your safety or the safety of others; investigate fraud, a breach of contract, or a violation of law; or respond to a government request;
- to third parties, advisors, and other entities to the extent reasonably necessary for development of or to proceed with the negotiation or completion of a corporate or commercial transaction, including a merger, acquisition, or sale of all or a portion of assets, including data related to such assets; and
- when not prohibited by applicable law from doing so without your express consent.
In addition, we may disclose reports containing aggregated or anonymized user information to third parties.
Alcon prohibits third parties that have been retained by us from using the information that we provide to them for any purpose not specifically authorized by us, and requires these parties to treat the information pursuant to standards substantially similar to those set forth in this Privacy Statement
We are part of the Novartis Group which is a global group of companies and have databases in different countries, some of which are operated by the local Novartis Group Company, and some of which are operated by third parties on behalf of the local Novartis Group Company. We may transfer your data to one of the Group's databases outside your country of domicile, potentially including countries which may not require an adequate level of protection for your Personal Data compared with that provided in your country. However, the Novartis Group has adopted Binding Corporate Rules, a system of principles, rules and tools, provided by European law, in an effort to ensure effective levels of data protection, in particular relating to transfers of personal information outside the EEA and Switzerland. Read more about your rights under the Novartis Binding Corporate Rules.
Where Do We Store Your Information?
Information collected through the Services may be transferred to, stored, accessed, or otherwise processed in countries, including the United States and Switzerland, which have data protection rules that may be different from those of the country where your personal information originates. By using the Services, you consent to such transfer of your information to, and processing in, the United States and these other countries.
Where you have elected to participate in an Alcon program or service or to receive marketing communications or promotional materials from us, we offer you the ability to discontinue your participation or to opt out of receiving those communications or promotional materials in the communication itself, or you can contact us at: Alcon Laboratories, Inc., 6201 South Freeway, Fort Worth, TX 76134, Attention: Privacy Office.
If you do not want us to save cookies on your computer, you can set your browser's cookie preferences to reject cookies from the Services. Each browser is different, so you should check your browser's "Help" menu to learn how to change your cookie preferences. If you reject or block cookies, however, the Services may not function as intended.
We do not currently respond to web browser "do not track" signals or other mechanisms that provide a method to opt out of the collection of information across the networks of websites and online services in which we participate. If we do so in the future, we will describe how we do so in this Privacy Statement. For more information about do not track, visit www.allaboutdnt.org.
We use appropriate technical, administrative, and physical safeguards to protect the information collected through the Services. Unfortunately, no organization can guarantee the absolute security of electronic information, especially information transmitted over the Internet. Accordingly, we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information that you provide to us, and you do so at your own risk. We also caution you to safeguard your own computer or mobile device and password protect against unauthorized access by others. We are not responsible for any information disclosed as a result of such unauthorized access, such as if your computer or mobile device is lost or stolen.
Alcon will not knowingly collect, use, or disclose personally identifiable information from a child under the age of 14 without obtaining prior consent from a person with parental responsibility (parent or guardian), other than to respond directly to inform the child that we must have parental consent before accepting personally identifiable information.
Accessing and Updating Your Information
We encourage you to update the information you provide to us, such as by providing us with a new mailing or email address, a name change, or a change in the medical conditions that you have notified us about. This will help us continue to provide information to you that best meets your needs. You may be able to access and update this information through the member or account section of the Service for which you registered, or you can contact us by writing to us at Alcon Laboratories Inc., 6201 South Freeway, Fort Worth, TX 76134, Attention: Privacy Office. To protect your data from unauthorized access or alteration by third parties, all requests to update or access your information will be subject to verification of the identity of the requesting individual.
Links to Third Party Websites
The Services may contain links or other references to websites published by third parties, and Alcon may maintain company pages on websites hosted by third parties, such as social networking websites. These other websites are not under our control, and Alcon is not responsible for the collection and use of your information by such websites. We encourage you to review the privacy policies of each website you visit to learn how they collect, use, disclose, and protect your information.
Pursuant to the Texas Health and Safety Code, Sec. 181.154, please be advised that if Alcon receives any information that identifies you and relates to your past, present or future physical or mental health, healthcare or payment for your healthcare, such information may be subject to electronic disclosure by such means as file transfers or email.
Changes to This Privacy Statement
This Privacy Statement became effective on February 1, 2014. We may update this Privacy Statement from time to time by posting a new Privacy Statement on our website. You are advised to consult our website regularly for any changes, and your continued use of the Services after such changes have been made constitutes acceptance of those changes. If we make any revisions that materially change the ways in which we use or share the information previously collected from you through the Services, we will contact you and give you the opportunity to consent to such changes before applying them to that information.
How to Contact Us
If you have any questions about our Privacy Statement, please write to us at Alcon Laboratories Inc., 6201 South Freeway, Fort Worth, TX 76134, Attention: Privacy Office.
Back to Top