Media release –
Alcon Introduces DAILIES TOTAL1® Water Gradient Contact Lenses - A New Era in Comfort
- Exceptional Comfort lasts from the beginning through the end of the day
- First and only water gradient contact lens; featuring an increase from 33% to >80% water content from core to surface, approaching 100% at the outermost surface1,2**
- Highest breathability* (oxygen transmissibility) of any daily disposable contact lens3
SINGAPORE, August 19, 2015 – Do your eyes often feel tired or do your contact lenses feel dry at the end of your long day? A new era of eye comfort is now within reach thanks to the new DAILIES TOTAL1® water gradient contact lenses. These unique daily disposable contact lenses were launched today in Singapore by Alcon, the global leader in eye care. The lenses have a built-in ‘water gradient,’ an engineering breakthrough that helps make them so comfortable, nine out of ten DAILIES TOTAL1® contact lens wearers agreed that the lens is so comfortable they didn’t feel anything.4
A recent survey conducted in Singapore showed a significant improvement in the comfort for contact lens wearers with DAILIES TOTAL 1®. The end-of-day dryness reported by consumers reduced significantly by 43% after they wore it for a week and 88% agreed that they can now wear their lenses comfortably all day long.5
Discomfort is a common complaint among contact lens wearers – 44% of all contact lens wearers experience discomfort, dryness or red eyes.6,7 Discomfort, at 48%, is the number one reason cited for discontinuing the use of contact lenses.7 This statistic is important considering 31% of contact lens wearers in the Asia/Pacific Rim alone stop wearing their contact lenses each year.8 People also lead busy lives – the average consumer spends more than 16 hours per day on all kind of activities – work, household chores, caring for others, or leisure activities – leaving no room for a contact lens that is uncomfortable.9
“DAILIES TOTAL1® contact lenses truly offer consumers a remarkable wearing experience – once you try them on the eye, you’ll realize the difference,” said Ms Cindy Sim, Professional Affairs Manager from Alcon Singapore. “They are the contact lenses you actually can’t feel when wearing them and they maintain that high level of comfort all day. DAILIES TOTAL1® contact lenses can easily stand up to the test of very long days.”
During a clinical study, patients rated DAILIES TOTAL1® contact lenses an average of 9.6 out of 10 for insertion comfort, and 9.2 out of 10 for end-of-day comfort. 10 DAILIES TOTAL1® contact lenses are specifically designed to address contact lens discomfort – they have the highest surface lubricity 11 (or smoothness) and the highest breathability (or oxygen transmissibility) of any leading daily disposable contact lens,3 delivering exceptional comfort that lasts all day.
“We developed DAILIES TOTAL1® contact lenses with two main goals in mind: reduce friction with the delicate tissues of the eye and provide the same level of comfort at the end of the day as when the lenses are first inserted into the eye that morning,” said Erich Bauman, OD, Alcon R&D Program Leader for DAILIES TOTAL1®contact lenses. “Thanks to a totally new approach to contact lens comfort, our development teams were able to deliver these high-performing, water gradient contact lenses, which are designed to meet the needs of wearers’ demanding lifestyles in today’s world.”
Water Gradient Difference
The water gradient of DAILIES TOTAL1® contact lenses has a water content that transitions from 33% at the core to over 80% at the surface; approaching 100% at the outermost surface.1,2** They maintain 100% of initial lubricity (‘wettability’), even after a full day of wear. 12
The human eye blinks about 14,000 times per day, meaning the eyelid slides over the front of the cornea (and the contact lenses) roughly once every six seconds. Lubricity helps to minimize friction with the delicate tissues of the eye13 and at the surface of DAILIES TOTAL1® contact lenses, the lubricity reduces this friction and helps provide the breakthrough comfort of the lens.14
Maximizing the flow of oxygen
DAILIES TOTAL1® contact lenses are made out of the material, delefilcon A, used because of the high amount of oxygen it allows through to the eye. Eyes need oxygen to stay healthy. Without enough oxygen, eyes can experience such symptoms as end-of-day discomfort, dryness and redness. 15,16 In addition, the water gradient, with a lower (33%) water content at the core of the lens than at the surface, enables more oxygen to flow through the lens, which is important for healthy contact lens wear. 17 DAILIES TOTAL1® contact lenses offer the highest oxygen transmissibility of any daily disposable contact lens on the market. 18
Alcon is the eye care division of Novartis. DAILIES TOTAL1® contact lenses are launching throughout various regions across the globe through 2014. To learn more, talk to your Eye Care Professional and visit www.DAILIES.com.sg.
* High oxygen transmissible lenses: Dk/t of 156 (Dk/t @ -300D). **In vitro measurement of unworn lenses.
Other factors may impact eye health.
See product instructions for complete wear, care and safety information.
- Thekveli S, Qul Y, Kapoor Y, et al. Structure-property relationship of delefilcon A lenses.Lens Anterior Eye. 2012; 35(Supp1):e14.
- Angelini T, Nixon R, Dunna, et al. Viscoelasticity and mesh-size at the surface of hydrogels characterized with microrheology. ARVO 2013. E-abstract 114872.
- Based on the ratio of lens oxygen transmissibility; Alcon data on file, 2010.
- Based on a survey in Europe of 24 ECPs fitting 280 patients in DAILIES TOTAL1® contact lenses. Alcon data on file, 2012.
- Based on a survey in Singapore of 15 ECPs fitting 104 patients in DAILIES TOTAL 1® contact lenses. Alcon Singapore data on file, 2015
- Third Party Industry Report Europe, 2010
- Rumpakis J. New data on contact lens dropouts: An international perspective. Rev Optom. 2010:147(1):37-42
- Rumpakis. J (2010 Nov 1) Curbing the Dropout Rate. Retrieved from http://www.clspectrum.com/articleviewer.aspx?articleID=104962
- Alcon data on file, 2008
- A clinical study with 80 patients; Alcon data on file, 2011
- Based on critical coefficient of friction measured by inclined plate method; significance demonstrated at the 0.05 level; Alcon data on file, 2011.
- Alcon data on file, 2011
- Based on laboratory measure of lenses before wear; Alcon data on file, 2011
- Brennan N. Contact lens-based correlates of soft lens wearing comfort . Optom Vis Sci. 2009; 86: E-abstract 90957
- Alcon data on file, 2012
- Dillehay, Eye & Contact Lens 33(3): 148-155, 2007
- Alcon data on file, 2010
- Alcon data on file, 2011
Alcon, the global leader in eye care, provides innovative products that enhance quality of life by helping people see better. Alcon’s three businesses, Surgical, Pharmaceutical and Vision Care, offer the widest spectrum of eye care products in the world. Alcon is a division of the Novartis Group, with pro-forma sales of USD 10.8 billion in 2014. Headquartered in Fort Worth, Texas, USA, Alcon has more than 25,000 employees worldwide, operations in 75 countries and products available in 180 markets. For more information, please visit www.alcon.com.
Alcon Media Relations
Regional Head of Communications, Asia & Russia
Tel : +86 10 5829 1632
Mobile : +86 1380 103 0763
Email : [email protected]