Media release –
Alcon Launches Social Media Campaign to Continue Its Commitment to Educate Cataract Patients on Treatment Options
Alcon, the global leader in eye care and a division of Novartis, is launching a digital campaign, “See What You’re Missing,” to empower people to overcome the “FOMO” (fear of missing out) that can be associated with living with cataracts. The new campaign, launched during Cataract Awareness Month, will arm millions of Americans with information to help on their journey from cataract diagnosis to treatment. These efforts are part of the existing multi-year MyCataracts educational initiative and will live on the MyCataracts Facebook page.
The campaign is based on findings from a recent Alcon survey that showed people with cataracts report feeling less independent, more fearful and frustrated about missing out on things that bring them joy, like traveling or spending time with family.1 In addition, while surgery is the only way to treat cataracts, one in five people surveyed think there are non-surgical treatment options.2
“We remain committed to partnering with eye care professionals to provide direct-to-patient education that will support and improve treatment conversations happening in doctors’ offices around the country,” said Brian O’Neal, Head of Marketing, US Surgical, Alcon. “We found through our research that many people who need cataract surgery are not aware of their treatment options. We hope our continued efforts will arm patients with the tools and resources needed to feel more confident in speaking with their doctors about ways to treat cataracts and other vision conditions.”
In addition to social media efforts, Alcon will offer the following throughout Cataract Awareness Month to support patients and eye care professionals:
- Partnership with Dr. Bonnie Henderson, a world-renowned cataract surgeon and Clinical Professor of Ophthalmology at Tufts University School of Medicine in Boston, to participate in television and radio interviews that will educate patients on cataract surgery options.
- A national print advertisement in the June issue of AARP Magazine driving people to MyCataracts.com or to call 1-844-MYCATARACT.
- Digital content on MyAlcon.com that ophthalmologists can leverage to help educate their patients on treatment options. This content will also be available for optometrists later this month. Talk to an Alcon representative to learn more.
- Lunch symposium at the annual AOA Optometry’s Meeting on June 22 from 12 to 1 p.m. in Denver featuring a panel discussion moderated by Dr. Kristopher May with Drs. John Berdahl, Justin Schweitzer, Mitch Ibach discussing collaborative care and new cataract technologies.
Visit MyCataracts.com or call 1-844-MYCATARACT to learn more about Cataract Awareness Month and the latest Alcon innovations that can treat other conditions at the same time as cataract surgery.
- MyCataracts Survey Results. 2017.
- Know Your Cataract EYE-Q Survey. 2016.