Media release –
Alcon’s new online Toric IOL Calculator offers best-in-class way to optimize outcomes for cataract/astigmatism patients
- The new online calculator user interface is redesigned for surgeons to simplify planning and updated to be more intuitive,
- Includes the Barrett Toric Algorithm which offers best-in-class preoperative prediction of residual astigmatism versus other formulas and nomograms.1,2
- More than 50 percent of the patients who undergo cataract surgery have corneal astigmatism ≥ 0.75 D, which limits optimal visual outcome if left uncorrected. 3
Fort Worth, Texas, August 15, 2016 – Alcon, the global leader in eye care and a division of Novartis, has released its new, Online Toric IOL Calculator for cataract surgeons treating patients with corneal astigmatism. Designed to improve toric outcomes in astigmatic patients by helping select Toric IOLs with accuracy, the toric calculator is an invaluable tool for developing surgical plans.
Astigmatism is a variation in the shape or curvature of the cornea and, if left untreated, astigmatism can cause blurred vision at all distances. More than 50 percent of the patients who undergo cataract surgery have corneal astigmatism ≥ 0.75 D, which is within the range of surgically treatable astigmatism and may significantly limit an optimal visual outcome if left uncorrected.3 Over two thirds of these patients have a level of astigmatism between 0.75 and 1.50 D making them the most common astigmatic patient type who are often under-served with Toric IOLs.3
Providing surgeons with the predictive accuracy and increased confidence necessary to meet the surgical expectations of astigmatic patients, including those identified as low-cylinder, is a key focus of the Alcon Online Toric IOL Calculator. It helps surgeons to select the appropriate toric IOL model and power. The calculator includes an optimized user interface and integrates the Barrett Toric Algorithm. The Barrett Toric Algorithm has demonstrated superior preoperative refractive predictability versus other formulas and nomograms.1This best-in-class tool theoretically accounts for posterior corneal astigmatism, calculates patient-specific effective lens position and is designed to improve preoperative refractive predictability by using a centroid value for surgically induced astigmatism.1-2, 4
“One of the barriers to achieving the best cataract refractive outcomes with a toric intraocular lens is accurately accounting for posterior corneal astigmatism,” said Dr. Graham Barrett, ophthalmologist and creator of the Barrett Toric Algorithm.
“At Alcon, we are committed to equipping surgeons with the best tools to help them achieve the best results possible for their astigmatic patients,” said Michael Onuscheck, Global Surgical Franchise Head at Alcon. “The Barrett Toric Algorithm introduces greater predictability into the preoperative planning equation, which can help minimize errors and variability in the operating room.”1,2,4,5
In addition to the integration of the Barrett Toric Algorithm, the user interface has been designed to simplify planning and updated to be more intuitive including calculations for the full line of AcrySof® Toric IOL models in the selected family, full display of AcrySof Toric IOL models for customized planning, optimized design that is available in multiple languages and easy-to-read printouts. Together, these improvements are designed to provide a number of new benefits that simplify planning.
The new online Alcon Toric IOL Calculator will be available in worldwide beginning in August 2016 in more than 20 languages.
- Abulafia A, Barrett GD, Kleinmann G, et al. Prediction of refractive outcome with toric intraocular lens implants. J Cataract Refract Surg. 2015;41(5):936-944.
- Abulafia A, Hill WE, Franchina M, Barrett GD. Comparison of methods to predict residual astigmatism after intraocular lens implantation. J Refract Surg. 2015;31(10):699-707.
- Ferrer-Blasco 2009 http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19101427
- Barrett GD. Innovative toric IOL calculators and how to use them: Barrett Toric Calculator. Cataract & Refract Surg Today Europe. May 2015 supplement.
- Koch DD, Ali SF, Weikert MP, Shirayama M, Jenkins R, Wang L. Contribution of posterior corneal astigmatism to total corneal astigmatism. J Cataract Refract Surg. 2012;38(12):2080-2087.
Alcon is the global leader in eye care. As a division of Novartis, we offer the broadest portfolio of products to enhance sight and improve people’s lives. Our products touch the lives of more than 260 million people each year living with conditions like cataracts, glaucoma, retinal diseases and refractive errors, and there are millions more who are waiting for solutions to meet their eye care needs. Our purpose is reimagining eye care, and we do this through innovative products, partnerships with eye care professionals and programs that enhance access to quality eye care. Learn more at www.alcon.com.
Alcon is on Facebook. Like us at www.facebook.com/AlconEyeCare.
Alcon Media Relations
+1 585 435 7379 (mobile)