Media release –
New Data Shows DAILIES TOTAL1® Multifocal Contact Lenses Are Comfortable and Less Dry at the End of the Day
Alcon, the global leader in eye care and a division of Novartis, recently presented new data on patient and provider satisfaction with innovative DAILIES TOTAL1® Multifocal contact lenses. The study looked at presbyopic patients’ and eye care professionals’ (ECP) experiences with the lenses in terms of comfort, vision and ease of fitting. Findings among U.S. study participants show that:
- Most patients reported that DAILIES TOTAL1® Multifocal contact lenses “feel comfortable” (92 percent) and “less dry” (81 percent) at the end of the day.
- Patients had, on average, three more hours of comfortable wear with DAILIES TOTAL1® Multifocal lenses than their habitual lenses.
- 81 percent agreed that their vision is “clear when using digital devices, such as an iPhone or iPad” while wearing DAILIES TOTAL1® Multifocal contact lenses.
- Only about one-fourth (27 percent) of the patients said their habitual contact lenses were comfortable at the end of the day.
- 86 percent of patients preferred water gradient DAILIES TOTAL1® Multifocal contact lenses over their previous multifocal lenses.
- 100 percent of US ECPs who participated in the survey reported that DAILIES TOTAL1® Multifocal contact lenses are easy and efficient to fit and would recommend them to colleagues. Ninety-two percent would proactively recommend to their presbyopic patients that they switch to these lenses.
“Many contact lens wearers, including those with presbyopia, stop using contact lenses at some point after age 40 due to dryness, discomfort and visual acuity issues,” said Mohinder Merchea, OD, PhD, MBA, FAAO, FBCLA, Head, Medical Affairs, Alcon US Vision Care. “These data underscore the benefits of DAILIES TOTAL1® Multifocal contact lenses for presbyopic patients in terms of comfort, clarity and seamless transitions between near and far vision throughout their daily activities, from driving to using digital devices.”
The survey followed 534 patients, aged 45 and over, with presbyopia in the US (101), Canada (54), Europe (363) and Australia/New Zealand (16) before they were fit and after one to two weeks of wear with DAILIES TOTAL1® Multifocal contact lenses. ECPs and patients each completed surveys before and after patients were fit with the lenses.
DAILIES TOTAL1® Multifocal contact lenses are uniquely designed with water gradient technology to offer outstanding comfort, less end-of-day dryness and seamless distant, intermediate and near vision.1,2,3 The "hydrophilic" (water-loving) surface of the lens is almost as soft as the surface of the cornea for enhanced comfort, and its water content approaches nearly 100 percent at the outermost surface of the lens. 2,4,5,6
The US data from the survey was presented by Dr. Merchea during this year’s American Optometric Association (AOA) meeting.
For more information on DAILIES TOTAL1® Multifocal contact lenses, visit www.dailies.com.
- Pérez-Gómez I, Giles T. European survey of contact lens wearers and eye care professionals on satisfaction with a new water gradient daily disposable contact lens. Clin Optom. 2014;6:17-23.
- Alcon data on file 2015.
- Alcon data on file, 2016.
- Dunn A, Uruena J, Huo Y, et al. Lubricity of surface hydrogel layers. Tribol Lett. 2013;49:371-378.
- Angelini T, Nixon R, Dunn A, et al. Viscoelasticity and mesh size at the surface of hydrogels characterized with microrheology. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2013;54:E-Abstract 500.
- Alcon data on file, 2013.