Media release –
Novartis opens new global data center for the Americas at its Alcon eye care division headquarters in Fort Worth, Texas, USA
- One of four primary Novartis data centers the 37,000 square-foot facility in Fort Worth will support Novartis’ data center host applications
- Environmentally sustainable facility meets and exceeds all LEED Silver and ASHRAE Energy Standards, for reduced energy and water consumption
- New facility further reinforces Novartis’ commitment to the Fort Worth community in which Alcon has been headquartered for more than 70 years
Fort Worth, Texas, USA, September 29, 2015 – Novartis today opened its newest global data center, consolidating multiple locations across the Americas, making it now one of four Novartis data centers globally. The new data center is located at the headquarters of Novartis' eye care division, Alcon, located in Fort Worth, Texas, USA. Global data centers for Novartis are also located in Basel, Switzerland; East Hanover, New Jersey; and Stein, Switzerland.
"After a thorough evaluation of several global sites, Fort Worth, Texas, offered Novartis the most ideal location for this new center," said Rob James, Novartis CIO. "We thank the City of Fort Worth for their collaboration in helping this center come to fruition and are pleased to establish the center in the community where Alcon is headquartered." Alcon, the global leader in eye care, currently employs approximately 4,400 employees in Fort Worth and 25,000 worldwide.
Novartis, a global healthcare company based in Basel, Switzerland, is recognized as one of the world's most sustainable companies, with a commitment to reducing emissions, and limiting energy and water consumption across its campuses globally. As an environmentally sustainable building, the $53M USD Data Center exceeds all Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Silver and American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE) standards, and will have the following features:
- Latest cooling technology for energy efficient use in Texas climate conditions
- Temperature-controlled raised flooring for lower energy consumption
- Free air cooling when below 70 degrees and proper humidity
- Intelligent low-voltage LED lighting
- Solar PV panel system to provide 100Kw power for administrative areas
- Storm water collection and rain harvesting
- Electrical component redundancy to ensure uninterrupted continuity should a component or power source fail
"Novartis is committed to achieving LEED Silver and ASHRAE Energy Standards throughout its campuses worldwide. Our commitment to environmental responsibility is good for the planet and our business, and importantly, the Fort Worth community," said Scott Owen Mason, CTO, Novartis.
In addition to its environmentally friendly features, the facility is engineered to be continually operational during routine maintenance or extreme weather conditions, including tornados. It is designed to industry standards of 99.982 percent reliability, equaling downtime of no more than 95 minutes per year.
Novartis provides innovative healthcare solutions that address the evolving needs of patients and societies. Headquartered in Basel, Switzerland, Novartis offers a diversified portfolio to best meet these needs: innovative medicines, eye care and cost-saving generic pharmaceuticals. Novartis is the only global company with leading positions in these areas. In 2014, the Group achieved net sales of USD 58.0 billion, while R&D throughout the Group amounted to approximately USD 9.9 billion (USD 9.6 billion excluding impairment and amortization charges). Novartis Group companies employ approximately 120,000 full-time-equivalent associates. Novartis products are available in more than 180 countries around the world. For more information, please visit http://www.novartis.com.
Novartis is on Twitter. Sign up to follow @Novartis at http://twitter.com/novartis.
Alcon Media Relations
Alcon Global Communications
+1 817 302 5759 (direct)
+1 214 924 4761 (mobile)