We are dedicated to helping people see brilliantly by offering the widest array of eye care and eye health offerings with products that can treat the entire eye at each stage of life.See our products
What Causes Presbyopia
Presbyopia is the gradual loss of the eye’s ability to actively focus on close objects. It occurs with the natural course of aging – generally starting around the age of 40 – and requires some form of vision correction to deal with its effect.
People are Blind from Cataracts2
What Causes Cataracts
Most cataracts develop from advanced aging.3 As the body ages, the lens of the eye, which consists of water and protein, can become cloudy due to protein clumping together, scattering the light landing on the retina and causing visual impairment. When the cataract blocks light, vision is disrupted.4
Have Uncorrected Refractive Errors2
The Burden of Uncorrected Refractive Errors
More than 12.8 million children globally, ages 5 to 15, are visually impaired due to uncorrected refractive errors as a result of nearsightedness, farsightedness or astigmatism – conditions which, with a simple eye exam, can be treated with contact lenses or surgical procedure.5
Living with Dry Eye6
What Causes Dry Eyes
Dry eyes are caused by a lack of sufficient moisture in the eyes because of an inadequate quality or quantity of tears.7 If the eyes are not lubricated enough, either by low quantity or poor quality of tears, it causes discomfort and leads to irritation.
A Pipeline for the Future
R&D is the foundation for how we improve people’s lives. We’ve made one of the largest R&D commitments of any surgical and vision care company, with more than 1,200 associates worldwide researching and developing treatments for vision conditions and eye diseases. In addition to our in-house R&D capabilities, we consider external innovation opportunities and routinely screen for companies developing emerging technologies that could enhance our existing product offerings or lead to innovative new products for eye disorders. Our pipeline has never been stronger as we aim to strengthen our Vision Care and Surgical portfolios.
Including nuclear cataract, posterior subcapsular cataract and cortical cataract
Including diagnosis and treatments for near-sightedness, far-sightedness, astigmatism, and presbyopia
Including all needed surgical equipment as instrumentation, lasers and vision systems
Including non-Rx dry eye drops, contact lens care solutions, ocular vitamins, non-Rx allergy drops, and non-Rx red eye drops
The task of increasing quality eye care for the world’s underserved patients comes with many challenges. Many of the organizations and programs we fund are overcoming these challenges with novel approaches to problems. For example, through our support and partnership with SightLife, the Eye Donation Counselor program established in hospitals in India is enabling cornea transplant surgeries that might not have been possible otherwise.
- Global Prevalence of Presbyopia and Vision Impairment, 2018 Oct;125(10):1492-1499. doi: 10.1016/j.ophtha
- World Health Organization (WHO), www.who.int/blindness
- American Academy of Ophthalmolgoy. What are Cataracts. https://www.aao.org/eye-health/diseases/what-are-cataracts [Accessed March 2019].
- Web MD. A Visual Guide to Cataracts. https://www.webmd.com/eye-health/cataracts/ss/slideshow-cataracts [Accessed March 2019].
- National Center for Biotechnology Information, Global magnitude of visual impairment caused by uncorrected refractive errors in 2004. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2647357/[Accessed March 2019]
- Epi Database. Kantar Health. June 2015. Custom Dry Eye Self-Reported Prevalence ages 40+, 16 markets
- National Eye Institute. Facts About Dry Eye. https://nei.nih.gov/health/dryeye/dryeye [Accessed March 2019].