Media release –
Alcon Demonstrates Commitment to Innovation at #Academy23 Showcasing TOTAL30 Multifocal
- Data presented at the meeting to show high fit success rates with TOTAL30 Multifocal among Eye Care Professionals1
- Clinical data to highlight performance of DAILIES TOTAL1 and DAILIES TOTAL1 for Astigmatism contact lenses
- Interactive events hosted by Alcon aimed to highlight latest innovations and practice success
FORT WORTH, October 11, 2023 – Alcon (SIX/NYSE: ALC), the global leader in eye care dedicated to helping people see brilliantly, will introduce TOTAL30® Multifocal, the first and only reusable Water Gradient multifocal contact lens, along with the latest advancements in eye care technology at the American Academy of Optometry Annual Meeting (#Academy23) in New Orleans, Louisiana, from October 11 to 14, 2023.2 Featuring engaging data presentations and discussions, an immersive TOTAL30 Multifocal virtual fitting experience, and live demonstrations and try-ons, Alcon’s on-site program will redefine what it means to innovate together with Eye Care Professionals (ECPs).
“Alcon continues to chart the path towards the future of optometry through our relentless pursuit of innovation,” said Sean Clark, General Manager, U.S. Vision Care. “At Alcon, innovation means helping Eye Care Professionals modernize their practices with cutting-edge technology to better serve the needs of today’s patient and tomorrow’s. We are proud to share the latest clinical science and results of our Vision Care portfolio, specifically in contact lenses and dry eye, at #Academy23 this year.”
Alcon Unveils First and Only Reusable Water Gradient Lens for Patients with Presbyopia
Following the global launch announcement of TOTAL30 Multifocal, Alcon’s on-site program will share a first-ever look at the new lens. Building on the legacy of Alcon’s TOTAL family of products, TOTAL30 Multifocal features Alcon’s proprietary Water Gradient Technology.2 The lens material approaches 100% water at the surface so all that touches your eye is a gentle cushion of moisture, for a lens so comfortable it feels like nothing – even at day 30.2-4
Data presented during Academy will show that this new lens provides excellent visual acuity at all distances, with optimal movement and centration, over 30 days of daily wear.1 The lens fit success rate was also found to be high, and lenses were rated as easy to fit by ECPs.1
Highlights of Additional Clinical Studies Illustrating Performance of Alcon’s DAILIES TOTAL1® Contact Lens Products
Further studies supported by Alcon will be highlighted during Academy demonstrating the clinical performance of Alcon’s DAILIES TOTAL1® and DAILIES TOTAL1® for Astigmatism contact lenses.
The studies conducted with DAILIES TOTAL1 and DAILIES TOTAL1 for Astigmatism evaluated the frequency of successfully refitting contact lens dropouts into DAILIES TOTAL1 and the overall wear comfort of DAILIES TOTAL1 for Astigmatism as compared to competitors. The studies showed that most contact lens dropouts who are refit into DAILIES TOTAL1 could become successful contact lens wearers, and that comfort was improved in astigmatic patients who switched to DAILIES TOTAL1 for Astigmatism.5-6 Presentations will be held:
- Thursday, October 12
- Poster Presentation: Assessing Fit Success of lehfilcon A Daily Wear Monthly Replacement Multifocal Soft Contact Lens. Presented by Dr. Vidhya Subramanian (available for questions in Exhibit Hall D from 4:30-6:30 p.m. CDT)
- Poster Presentation: Frequency of Successfully Bringing Contact Lens Dropouts Back into a Modern Daily Disposable Contact Lens at 6-Months. Presented by Dr. Andrew Pucker and Dr. Chris Lievens (available for questions in Exhibit Hall D from 4:30-6:30 p.m. CDT)
- Poster Presentation: Comfort After Refitting Symptomatic Habitual Reusable Toric Lens Wearers With a New Daily Disposable Contact Lens for Astigmatism. Presented by Dr. Keith Wan (available for questions in Exhibit Hall D from 4:30-6:30 p.m. CDT)
Alcon to Share Exclusive Look at Science Behind Leading Innovations
During #Academy23, Alcon will hold “Visionary Voices: Insights into Alcon’s Innovations,” a series of informative and engaging talks about Alcon’s breakthrough technologies. The discussions will provide an in-depth overview of Alcon’s contact lens, dry eye and digital solutions that have elevated patients’ user experience. The series will be held:
- Wednesday October 11, 11:00 a.m.–12:00 p.m. CT at the New Orleans Ernest N. Morial Convention Center, Room R09
Interactive Offerings to Bring Innovations to Life
The on-site program also includes a multitude of opportunities for attendees to experience the full breadth of Alcon’s innovations through demonstrations, try-ons and interactive events.
Inside Alcon’s Innovation Suite in the conference center lobby, attendees can engage in the TOTAL30 Multifocal Immersive Fit Experience. Using the latest in virtual reality (VR) technology, attendees can become acquainted with fitting TOTAL30 Multifocal. This includes practice in fitting Alcon’s PRECISION PROFILE design, the #1 U.S. selling multifocal optical design featured on Alcon’s entire multifocal portfolio.7 The proprietary design provides lens wearers with clear, uninterrupted vision at all distances, near through far.8 According to recent studies, 96% of patients were successfully fit in Alcon Multifocal contact lenses with PRECISION PROFILE optical design.9-11
Outside the Innovation Suite, attendees can contribute to an interactive artificial intelligence-powered mural, which will visualize the future of optometry.
At Alcon’s booth #1019, attendees will be able to experience the comfort of Alcon’s Water Gradient Technology during the TOTAL30® Try-On Event.4 With TOTAL30 Sphere and Toric lenses both available for trial, attendees can see the impact of Alcon’s premium reusable lenses firsthand.
Alcon’s booth will also be home to the MARLO Experience Center, where attendees will have the chance to participate in live demonstrations and learn how MARLO is revolutionizing patient care for ECPs. Through the live demonstrations, Alcon will showcase how MARLO’s digitally advanced, patient-centric design enables ECPs to optimize the eye care journey.
Visit Alcon’s booth #1019 for important information on Alcon’s innovative products and programs featured in this release.
Contact lenses are Rx only. Please see product instructions for full wear, care and safety information.
About AlconAlcon helps people see brilliantly. As the global leader in eye care with a heritage spanning over 75 years, we offer the broadest portfolio of products to enhance sight and improve people’s lives. Our Surgical and Vision Care products touch the lives of more than 260 million people in over 140 countries each year living with conditions like cataracts, glaucoma, retinal diseases and refractive errors. Our more than 25,000 associates are enhancing the quality of life through innovative products, partnerships with Eye Care Professionals and programs that advance access to quality eye care. Learn more at www.alcon.com.
- Assessing Fit Success of lehfilcon A Daily Wear Monthly Replacement Multifocal Soft Contact Lens, Dr. Vidhya Subramanian.
- In a clinical study wherein patients used AOSEPT solution for nightly cleaning, disinfecting, and storing Alcon data on file, 2021.
- In vitro analysis of lens oxygen permeability, water content, and surface imaging; Alcon data on file, 2021.
- In vitro analysis of lehfilcon A contact lenses outermost surface softness and correlation with water content; Alcon data on file, 2021.
- Frequency of Successfully Bringing Contact Lens Dropouts Back into a Modern Daily Disposable Contact Lens at 6-Months, Dr. Andrew Pucker and Dr. Chris Lievens.
- Comfort after Refitting Symptomatic Habitual Reusable Toric Lens Wearers with a New Daily Disposable Contact Lens for Astigmatism, Dr. Keith Wan.
- Alcon data on file, 2023. Internal estimates based on internal and third-party data.
- Baker K, Merchea M. Impact of pupil diameter on multifocal contact lens vision. Poster presented at American Academy of Optometry Annual Conference, November 9, 2018. San Antonio, Texas.
- Merchea M, Evans D, Kannarr S, Miller J, Kaplan M, Nixon L., Assessing a modified fitting approach for improved multifocal contact lens fitting success. Paper presented at Optometry’s Meeting, the 121st Congress of the American Optometric Association; June 20-24, 2018; Denver, CO.
- Bauman E, Lemp J, Kern J. Material effect on multifocal contact lens fitting of lenses of the same optical design with the same fitting guide. Poster presented at: British Contact Lens Association Clinical Conference & Exhibition; June 9-11, 2017; Liverpool, UK.
- Alcon data on file, 2022.
+ 41 589 112 110 (Geneva)
+ 1 817 615 2789 (Fort Worth)
+ 41 589 112 111 (Geneva)
+ 1 817 551 8057 (Fort Worth)