Media release –
Alcon Focuses on Presbyopia-Correcting IOL Innovation and the New Normal at the Virtual ESCRS Congress 2020
- Scientific program focused on Presbyopia-correcting Intraocular Lenses & Cataract Solutions for the New Normal
- Virtual booth highlights product innovations, educational program and IIT abstracts
- Independent Medical Education Grants for presentations on Advanced technology IOLs, the Cataract Patient Journey and Ocular Surface Disease
Geneva, Switzerland – September 29, 2020 – Alcon, the global leader in eye care dedicated to helping people see brilliantly, will host several events and present new technologies in cataract surgery during the virtual European Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery (ESCRS) 2020 annual meeting, taking place October 2-4.
“As our primary focus is supporting our surgeons for the future of cataract and refractive care, we believe the key is sharp focus on care excellence and efficiency for seamless treatment pathways,” said Stephan Eigenmann, Region VP Surgical Franchise, Alcon Europe. “We hope highlighting relevant data on our products and services will be beneficial to surgeons as they navigate the new normal.”
As part of the official ESCRS scientific program, Alcon will host two educational symposia:
Presbyopia correction with monofocal simplicity: AcrySof® IQ Vivity®
Friday, October 2, 2-2:45pm
Moderated by Dr. Kjell Gunnar Gundersen (Norway), who will be joined by Professor Michael Lawless (Australia), Dr. Francesco Carones (Italy), Dr. Merce Guarro (Spain) and Dr. Edoardo Ligabue (Italy) to discuss the evolution in presbyopia correction.
Alcon Cataract solutions for the New Normal
Saturday, October 3, 1-1:45pm
Moderated by Kristina Dziekan, Head Market Access, Government Affairs and Tendering for Alcon Europe, who will be joined by Professor Daniele Tognetto (Italy), Professor Robert Rejdak (Poland) and Dr. Luis Castillon (Spain) to discuss Alcon's solutions to enable care excellence and efficiency.
Alcon will also host a virtual exhibit booth that will provide information on its latest product innovations, including:
- ACRYSOF® IQ VIVITY® Intraocular Lens, first-of-its-kind, extended range of vision IOL that uses non-diffractive design, X-WAVE™ technology, to reduce cataract patients’ dependency on glasses1
- CENTURION® Vision System with ACTIVE SENTRY® Handpiece, is redefining phacoemulsification performance2,3 – its innovative design and real-time surge reduction supports further ensured safety, consistency and control for cataract patients*
- SYSTANE® ULTRA PRESERVATIVE FREE Lubricant Eye Drops, in a multi-dose bottle contains an exclusive HP Guar-based formula, a proven ingredient that is 2x more lubricious than hyaluronic acid (HA) alone4 for fast-acting relief for tired, irritated dry eye5,6
On the virtual booth, attendees can also find out more about our comprehensive educational programs within the Alcon Experience Academy as well as numerous Investigator-Initiated Trials abstracts on intraocular lenses, cataract diagnostics and lasers in the Medical Affairs area.
In addition, Alcon is supporting three Independent Medical Education Grants during ESCRS, including presentations on Advanced Technology IOLs, the Patient Journey in Cataract surgery, improved Patient Education on Refractive IOLs as well as Screening and Management of Ocular Surface Disease in the Surgical Patient. These presentations will also be included in the EuroTimes printed supplement and on their digital educational forum.
To find out more about Alcon’s complete program, visit: https://professional.myalcon.com/events/.
- Alcon Data on file, 2019.
- Centurion® Vision System Operating Manual.
- Active Sentry® pressure sensing handpiece Directions for use.
- Rangarajan R, Kraybill B, Ogundele A, Ketelson H. Effects of a Hyaluronic Acid/Hydroxypropyl Guar Artificial Tear Solution on Protection, Recovery, and Lubricity in Models of Corneal Epithelium. J Ocul Pharmacol Ther. 2015;31(8):491-497.
- Davitt WF, Bloomenstein M, Christensen M, Martin AE. Efficacy in patients with dry eye after treatment with a new lubricant eye drop formulation. J Ocul Pharmacol Ther. 2010;26(4):347-353.
- Christensen MT, Martin AE, Bloomenstein M. A comparison of efficacy between Systane Ultra and Optive lubricant eye drops when tested with dry eye patients. Optometry. 2009;80(6):315.
* Compared to previous generations of Alcon phaco systems.
Alcon helps people see brilliantly. As the global leader in eye care with a heritage spanning more than seven decades, we offer the broadest portfolio of products to enhance sight and improve people’s lives. Our Surgical and Vision Care products touch the lives of more than 260 million people in over 140 countries each year living with conditions like cataracts, glaucoma, retinal diseases and refractive errors. Our more than 20,000 associates are enhancing the quality of life through innovative products, partnerships with eye care professionals and programs that advance access to quality eye care. Learn more at www.alcon.com.
Alcon Media Relations
Cara Jones Faye, UK & Europe
+ 41 79 933 3811