Media release –
Alcon Introduces New AIR OPTIX® plus HydraGlyde® Multifocal Contact Lenses; Broadening Options for Presbyopic Patients
Sep 11, 2018 - Alcon, the global leader in eye care and a division of Novartis, is expanding its multifocal portfolio with the launch of AIR OPTIX® plus HydraGlyde® Multifocal contact lenses. As with Alcon’s other multifocal portfolio contact lens options – including DAILIES TOTAL1® , DAILIES® AquaComfort Plus® and AIR OPTIX® AQUA – this latest innovation offers presbyopic patients a unique combination of technologies for seamless vision at all distances, plus enhanced moisture benefits, compared to AIR OPTIX® AQUA.
“Our new AIR OPTIX® plus HydraGlyde® Multifocal contact lens expands Alcon’s differentiated contact lens portfolio – offering additional options for patients and providing opportunities for Eye Care Professionals (ECPs) to foster practice growth,” said Eric Bruno, General Manager of Alcon US Vision Care. “There are more than 111 million Americans living with presbyopia,1 and the number of presbyopic patients continues to grow.2 We believe ECPs should be equipped with advanced solutions to accommodate patients’ specific vision needs that fit their individual lifestyles.”
AIR OPTIX® plus HydraGlyde® Multifocal contact lenses incorporate Alcon’s industry-leading Precision Profile® Design together with the HydraGlyde® molecule for:
- Clear, seamless vision at all distances, near, intermediate and far
- Lasting lens surface moisture through the HydraGlyde® Moisture Matrix
- Excellent deposit protection and consistent comfort with Alcon’s unique SmartShield® Technology.3,4 This unique culmination of technologies gives presbyopic patients and ECPs improved solutions for addressing patients’ needs for clear and comfortable vision
Alcon’s multifocal contact lens portfolio equips ECPs with options to meet the diverse and specific needs of presbyopes with a single, easy fitting process. The unique design of all Alcon multifocal contact lenses follows the same two-step initial fitting process that leads to a 96 percent rate of fit success with two lenses or less.5,6 To help increase efficiency and improve first-time fit success of its multifocal contact lenses, Alcon has more than doubled its hands-on multifocal contact lens fit trainings at the Alcon Experience Center, while also increasing offerings of its proprietary Multifocal Fit Training Road Shows, which brings the training right to the practitioner’s office.
Each lens across the Alcon multifocal portfolio is specifically designed to address the presbyopic eye. DAILIES TOTAL1® Multifocal contact lenses are ideal for patients in search of the ultimate contact lens-wearing experience in a daily disposable modality,while the new AIR OPTIX® plus HydraGlyde® Multifocal contact lenses are recommended for the patient who wants a monthly replacement contact lens. These options allow ECPs an increased flexibility across Alcon’s daily and monthly modality, with the newest contact lens technologies, to best meet the needs of the millions of Americans living with presbyopia.2
The new AIR OPTIX® plus HydraGlyde® Multifocal contact lenses will be widely available beginning on October 1, 2018. For more information on Alcon’s latest offering in multifocal contact lenses, please speak with an Alcon Vision Care sales representative or visit AirOptix.com.
Important Information for AIR OPTIX® plus HydraGlyde® Multifocal (lotrafilcon B) contact lenses: Prescription only. For daily wear or extended wear up to 6 nights for near/far-sightedness. Risk of serious eye problems (i.e., corneal ulcer) is greater for extended wear. In rare cases, loss of vision may result. Side effects like discomfort, mild burning or stinging may occur. See product instructions for complete wear, care and safety information.
Important Information for DAILIES TOTAL1® Multifocal (delefilcon A) contact lenses: Prescription only. See product instructions for complete wear, care and safety information.
- Market Scope, Global Presbyopia-Correcting Surgery Market Report, April 2012.
- Market Scope, 2015 Comprehensive Report on The Global IOL Market, 2015.
- Eiden SB, Davis R, Bergenske P. Prospective study of lotrafilcon B lenses comparing 2 versus 4 weeks of wear for objective and subjective measures of health, comfort, and vision. Eye Contact Lens. 2013;39(4):290-294.
- Lemp J, Kern J. A comparison of real time and recall comfort assessments. Optom Vis Sci. 2016;93:E-abstract 165256.
- Alcon data on file, 2017.
- Bauman E, Lemp J, Kern J. Material effect on multifocal contact lens fitting of lenses of the same optical design with the same fitting guide. Presented at the British Contact Lens Association Clinical Conference & Exhibition, June 9-11, 2017. Liverpool, UK.