- One value-based healthcare-focused symposium on the power of patient outcome data
- Two additional symposia to focus on PC-IOLs, biometry, integration of digital visualization and phaco
- Over 40 abstracts highlighting the benefits of Alcon innovation, more than half on Alcon’s leading PC-IOLs, AcrySof IQ Vivity and PanOptix IOLs
GENEVA, October 5, 2021 – Alcon, the global leader in eye care dedicated to helping people see brilliantly, will present extensive data during the 2021 Congress of the European Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery (ESCRS), a hybrid event taking place both virtually and in Amsterdam, Netherlands, from October 8-11. Three symposia and more than 40 abstracts featuring Alcon ophthalmic products and equipment will be presented, reinforcing this industry-leading portfolio.
“We are delighted to have the opportunity to connect with our customers at this year’s congress, both in person and virtually for those who cannot attend,” said Stephan Eigenmann, Region Europe VP, Surgical Franchise. “Alcon, as a historic partner of the ESCRS, will have a significant presence, both on site in Amsterdam and online, as we believe our innovations and scientific data underline our commitment to our surgeons to deliver optimal outcomes to their patients.”
As part of the official ESCRS scientific program, Alcon will host the following three educational symposia:
The Power of Patient Outcome Data for Sustainable Cataract Care
Friday, 8 October, 3:45-4:30 p.m. CEST
Moderated by Professor Joaquim Murta of Portugal, who will speak on the Importance of Value-Based Healthcare on Health Ecosystem in Europe, he will be joined by Dr. Gareth Roberts from the UK and Professor Antoine Brezin from France, who will discuss transforming care on outcomes insights and real-world data on Nd.YAG laser capsulotomies, respectively.
Embrace the Power of Digital Visualization & Fluid Control in Phaco Procedures
Saturday, 9 October, 3:30-4:15 p.m. CEST
Moderated by Dr. Saleh Al Messabi, he will be joined by Dr. Khalid Al Sabti from Kuwait, Dr. Kjell Gunnar Gundersen from Norway and Professor Robert Rejdak from Poland to introduce NGENUITY® 3D Visualization System enhancements for both posterior and anterior segments, and present the benefits in terms of safety and efficacy of the ACTIVE SENTRY® Handpiece and INTREPID® Hybrid Tip to anterior segment surgeons and fellows through a series of surgical cases.1-6
Advancing Cataract Refractive Surgery and Presbyopia Correction – Better Outcomes for More Patients
Sunday, 10 October, 11:45 a.m.-12:45 p.m. CEST
Moderated by Professor Dr. Gerd Auffarth from Germany, he will be joined by Professor Rudy Nuijts from the Netherlands, Dr. Edoardo Ligabue from Italy, Dr. Ertan Sunay from Turkey and Dr. Norbert Pesztenlehrer from Hungary to discuss innovative approaches to presbyopia correction with AcrySof® IQ VivityTM, choosing the right advanced technology IOLs, and using the ARGOS® Biometer as a smart planning solution.
Of the 41 abstracts to be presented, more than half will focus on Alcon’s market-leading intraocular lens technologies, including AcrySof IQ Vivity and PanOptix® IOLs. The optical designs and material of these IOLs provide patients a variety of options to see brilliantly, reinforcing Alcon’s commitment to innovation.
Reduced Spectacle Dependence and High Patient Satisfaction with AcrySof IQ Vivity IOL, the first and only presbyopia-correcting IOL with wavefront-shaping technology and a clinically proven, exceptionally low rate of visual disturbances.7-9 Key data continues to demonstrate that Vivity delivers an extended range of vision while maintaining a visual disturbance profile comparable to the best-in-class AcrySof IQ monofocal.7-8
First interim analysis of the EVOLVE study, a real world, multi-country, ambispective, non-comparative, open-label, non-interventional study/registry conducted in Europe, New Zealand and Australia, demonstrated:
- 93% and 89% of Vivity patients reported “never” or “rarely” using eyeglasses to see at distance and intermediate in bright light, with vision of 20/20 at distance, 20/25 at intermediate and 20/32 at near*‡
- More than 88% of the patients did not report any visual disturbances, halos, glare or starbursts*†
- 94.3% of the patients were satisfied with their sight*§
Presentations will also showcase additional EVOLVE study interim data, including sub-analyses for some particular population cases:
- Patient data from Professor Teus, Dr. Garcia of Spain and Dr. Gaeckle of Germany
- Patients implanted with Vivity Toric IOL, presented by Dr. Reus of the Netherlands
- Patients with Ocular Comorbidities, presented by Dr. Llovet of Spain
- Patients with Altered Corneas, presented by Dr. Kleineberg of Germany
Additional key presentations on Vivity include:
- Subjective and objective assessment of visual disturbances in patients implanted with three different presbyopia-correcting IOLs, presented by Dr. Guarro
- Clinical outcomes and quality of vision associated with bilateral implantation of a wavefront-shaping presbyopia-correcting intraocular lens after 18 months, presented by Dr. Gundersen
- Predicted optical quality and halos with the Vivity IOL in post-LASIK patients, presented by Dr. Marcos
- A cost-effectiveness analysis of Vivity IOL from Private Health Fund perspective in Australia, presented by Dr. Bala
AcrySof PanOptix Trifocal IOL Provides Excellent Continuous Vision10
A worldwide pooled analysis of six prospective clinical investigations on PanOptix showed very good visual performance at all distances in photopic conditions in patients from different ethnicities with the full range of vision of 20/25 or better from far to near as presented by Professor Kohnen. Dr. Lapid-Gortzak will also present that PanOptix IOL provides at least four lines of acuity reserve at 40 and 33 cm.
This novel method to measure the acuity reserve, that demonstrated the superiority of PanOptix to other trifocal IOLs, will be presented in a specific video by Dr. Lapid-Gortzak.
Additional key presentations on PanOptix include:
- Two different studies comparing visual outcomes after implantation of PanOptix compared to two other diffractive trifocal IOLs, presented by Dr. Benyoussef and Dr. Kilic
- IOL comparison study on near vision and spectacle independence in a group of Chinese patients, presented by Dr. Zhang
- A cost-benefit analysis of PanOptix trifocal IOL from patient perspectives in the USA, presented by Dr. Bala
The full abstract book and details of Alcon’s presence are available here.
- NGENUITY® User Manual.
- Active Sentry® pressure sensing handpiece Directions for use.
- Centurion® Vision System User Manual.
- Rohani O, Final Engineering Study Report Alcon Phacoemulsification Systems’ Occlusion Break Surge Performance in Support of Comparison App, Internal Technical Report 954-3160-044,
- 03.05.17. Thorne A, Dyk D, Fanney D, Miller K Phacoemulsifier occlusion break surge volume reduction J Cataract Refract Surg. 2018 Dec;44(12):1491-1496. doi: 10.1016/j.jcrs.2018.01.032.
- Aravena C, Dyk D, Thorne A, Fanney D, Miller K Aqueous volume loss associated with occlusion break surge J Cataract Refract Surg. 2018 Jul;44(7):884-888. doi: 10.1016/j.jcrs.2018.02.026. Epub 2018 Jun 21.
- AcrySof® IQ Vivity® Extended Vision IOL Directions for Use.
- Alcon Data on File, US Patent 9968440 B2, May 15, 2018.
- A Prospective, Randomized, Controlled, Multi-Center Clinical Study of the ACRYSOF® IQ Extended Depth of Focus (EDF) IOL.
- Alcon Data on File TDOC-0055576. Effective 2019.
- AcrySof® IQ PanOptix DFU. Alcon Laboratories, Inc.; 2019.
*First interim analysis outcomes (128 subjects implanted bilaterally) from a multi-country, ambispective, non-comparative, open-label, non-interventional study (registry) conducted in Europe, New Zealand, and Australia with 3-6 months follow-up.
‡ Patients were asked, “In the past 7 days, how often did you need to wear eyeglasses to see?”
† Visual disturbances were evaluated in a non-prompted interview.
§ Subject satisfaction were evaluated with the Catquest 9SF Questionnaire
Alcon helps people see brilliantly. As the global leader in eye care with a heritage spanning more than seven decades, we offer the broadest portfolio of products to enhance sight and improve people’s lives. Our Surgical and Vision Care products touch the lives of more than 260 million people in over 140 countries each year living with conditions like cataracts, glaucoma, retinal diseases and refractive errors. Our more than 23,000 associates are enhancing the quality of life through innovative products, partnerships with eye care professionals and programs that advance access to quality eye care. Learn more at www.alcon.com.
Please refer to relevant product direction for use and operator manual for list of indications, contraindications and warnings. Available at: https://ifu.alcon.com.
Alcon Media Relations
Cara Jones Faye
+ 41 79 93 3811