Media release –
Alcon to Showcase Innovations at #Academy20 that Support Recovery and Growth for Eye Care Practices
- Clinical findings to be presented on PRECISION1® daily disposable contact lenses and Systane® family of dry eye products
- Meeting attendees will have opportunity to get an exclusive demo of MARLO, Alcon’s new digital platform
- Interactive virtual Alcon booth will offer clinical education learning lab, product innovations, an OD-to-OD live theater, a COVID-19 practice response section and more
FORT WORTH, Texas, October 6, 2020 – Alcon, the global leader in eye care, will highlight leading innovations and clinical research at the 2020 American Academy of Optometry (the Academy or #Academy20) meeting taking place virtually from October 7 – 22, 2020. The company’s robust virtual program will feature updates on its most important innovations, including PRECISION1® one-day contact lenses, Systane® iLux® MGD Treatment System and digital platform MARLO, as well as 23 scientific presentations on a range of technologies.
“Now more than ever, there’s an increasing need to bolster practice growth and deliver on unmet patient needs during these challenging times,” said Sean Clark, VP/General Manager, U.S. Vision Care, Alcon. “Throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, Alcon has doubled down on our commitment to support Eye Care Professionals by providing tools, resources and programs to support their practices and their patients. We believe the innovations we’re bringing to this year’s Academy meeting will help our partners get back to business so we can continue helping people See Brilliantly together.”
Alcon’s virtual booth will feature a live theater offering OD-to-OD education and Q&A sessions; an in-depth learning lab; resources for Eye Care Professionals (ECPs) to help their practices recover following COVID-19 shutdowns; product innovation showcases; direct support from Alcon’s medical affairs team; a fun, interactive game center to get the full event experience at home; and, more.
Clinical Data Highlights Key Benefits of PRECISION1 Contact Lenses
Clinical findings will be presented at #Academy20, highlighting key attributes of Alcon’s latest contact lens innovation, PRECISION1. Specifically, data presented at the meeting will look at the lens’ overall performance, efficacy during digital device use and the clinical performance of a forthcoming toric version of PRECISION1. PRECISION1 meeting highlights include:
- Friday, October 9
- Paper Presentation: Clinical Comparison of Verofilcon A and Etafilcon A Daily Disposable Contact Lenses. Presented by Dr. Jason Miller, 3:15 – 3:30 p.m. ET
- Poster Presentation: The subjective response to Verofilcon A Daily Disposable Contact Lenses During Extensive Digital Device Use. Presented by Dr. Marc Schulze, 4:00 – 6:00 p.m. ET
- Poster Presentation: Clinical Performance of Verofilcon A Toric Daily Disposable Silicone Hydrogel Contact Lenses. Presented by Dr. Wilson Movic, 4:00 – 6:00 p.m. ET
- Poster Presentation: Use of Likert Questionnaires to Compare Subjective Performance of Two Daily Disposable Soft Contact Lenses. Presented by Dr. Jason Miller, 4:00 – 6:00 p.m. ET
- Friday, October 16
- Lunch Symposium: The Next Big Thing, featuring PRECISION1. Guest Speaker Dr. Pam Lowe, 12:00 – 1:00 p.m. ET
Broadened U.S. Availability of MARLO Helps ODs Stay Connected to their Patients
Following a successful pilot, Alcon announced in August the broader U.S. availability of its innovative MARLO digital platform. This platform is the contact lens ordering experience patients expect from online retailers and, now, independent OD practices can offer it to their patients. Alcon accelerated MARLO access to help ECPs better connect with their patients as virtual health services became more popular due to COVID-19. Meeting-goers will be able to visit the MARLO section of Alcon’s virtual booth to sign up for a demo of the product. For more information, visit MeetMarlo.com.
Clinical Research and Opportunities in Dry Eye
Alcon’s dry eye portfolio of drops and devices will be featured in scientific presentations during the virtual #Academy20 meeting, including:
- Wednesday, October 7
- Poster Presentation: iLux Efficacy after One Week of Treatment. Presented by Dr. David Geffen, 4:00 – 6:00 p.m. ET
- Poster Presentation: Dry Eye Symptom Relief with a Phospholipid/Propylene Glycol/Hydroxypropyl Guar Nanoemulsion ocular lubricant. Presented by Dr. Thao Yeh, 4:00 – 6:00 p.m. ET
- Poster Presentation: Six-Month Therapeutic Profiles of Lipid and Non-Lipid-Based Artificial Tear Supplements in Managing Dry Eye Disease. Presented by Dr. Jennifer Craig, 4:00 – 6:00 p.m. ET
Visit the Alcon virtual booth in the exhibits section of www.AcademyMeeting.org for important information on Alcon’s innovative products and programs featured in this release.
Cautionary Note Regarding Forward-Looking Statements
This press release contains “forward-looking statements” within the meaning of the safe harbor provisions of the United States Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Forward-looking statements can be identified by words such as: “anticipate,” “intend,” “commitment,” “look forward,” “maintain,” “plan,” “goal,” “seek,” “believe,” “project,” “estimate,” “expect,” “strategy,” “future,” “likely,” “may,” “should,” “will” and similar references to future periods.
Forward-looking statements are neither historical facts nor assurances of future performance. Instead, they are based only on our current beliefs, expectations and assumptions regarding the future of our business, future plans and strategies, and other future conditions. Because forward-looking statements relate to the future, they are subject to inherent uncertainties and risks that are difficult to predict. Some of these factors are discussed in our filings with the United States Securities and Exchange Commission, including our Form 20-F. In particular, our expectations could be affected by uncertainties regarding the success of our separation and spin-off from Novartis. Should one or more of these uncertainties or risks materialize, or should underlying assumptions prove incorrect, actual results may vary materially from those anticipated. Therefore, you should not rely on any of these forward-looking statements.
Forward-looking statements in this press release speak only as of the date of its filing, and we assume no obligation to update forward-looking statements as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.
Alcon helps people see brilliantly. As the global leader in eye care with a heritage spanning more than seven decades, we offer the broadest portfolio of products to enhance sight and improve people’s lives. Our Surgical and Vision Care products touch the lives of more than 260 million people in over 140 countries each year living with conditions like cataracts, glaucoma, retinal diseases and refractive errors. Our more than 20,000 associates are enhancing the quality of life through innovative products, partnerships with eye care professionals and programs that advance access to quality eye care. Learn more at www.alcon.com.
Alcon Media Relations
+1 817 615 5092 (direct)
+1 817 525 3409 (mobile)
Alcon Investor Relations
+41 589 112 110 (Geneva)
+1 817 615 2789 (Fort Worth)