Media release –
New Alcon Program Helps Eye Care Professionals Tap Into Opportunities in the Dry Eye Market Amid COVID-19 Crisis
- “No Reason to Wait: Success Starts Now” program will help practitioners realize the earning potential of treating Meibomian Gland Dysfunction (MGD) in their offices
- New support program focuses on helping eye care practices rebound by meeting the treatment needs of dry eye sufferers
- Program launch follows recent Food and Drug Administration clearance for Alcon to market the next generation of the Systane® iLux® MGD Thermal Pulsation System
FORT WORTH, Texas, May 28, 2020 –Alcon, the global leader in eye care, launches the “No Reason to Wait: Success Starts Now” program aimed at helping Eye Care Professionals (ECPs) better understand the practice and patient benefits of treating the root cause of evaporative dry eye, Meibomian Gland Dysfunction (MGD), which plays a large role in the 30 million Americans impacted by dry eye.1,2 As the eye care community recovers from the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic, this program can help practitioners who do not currently own a Systane® iLux® system identify new ways to service and retain existing patients, and implement strategies for supporting economic recovery of their practices.
“The COVID-19 crisis created a backlog of dry eye patients who might be looking for treatment of Meibomian Gland Dysfunction (MGD), the root cause of their evaporative dry eye disease. This presents a unique opportunity for eye care practitioners looking to bring more value to each patient coming through their doors,” said Adam Szaronos, Head, U.S. Dry Eye Devices, Alcon. “The ‘No Reason to Wait’ program brings together leading MGD technology, a proven implementation program, and a newly launched platform for driving long-term patient compliance and retention for practices offering procedures with the Systane iLux system. The program will help eye doctors deliver effective solutions to more patients, create new avenues of revenue at a time of critical need, and address barriers that might prevent successful practice entry and adoption of MGD procedures.”
The program will launch with an array of resources for optometrists and ophthalmologists interested in enhancing their practices by adopting the Systane iLux Suite to generate cash flow with elective procedures including:
- The Systane iLux system: As the #1 most purchased in-office MGD device3, iLux is a portable technology that delivers a MGD treatment in just 8 to 12 minutes and allows personalized treatment based on patient needs.
- DEEP™ (Dry Eye Excellence Program): This end-to-end implementation program helps ECPs reach practice goals. Practices participating in the DEEP program generate 2 to 3 times the procedure volume compared to accounts not utilizing the program.4
- Systane® MyEyes Program: The first-and-only patient retention program in the MGD space to help drive increased retention, continuity of care and procedure volume.
- A series of web events focused on everything from virtual demos and practice protocols to sessions with leading dry eye thought leaders discussing the most common implementation barriers and forthcoming learning modules on Alcon Experience Academy.
In addition, Alcon recently received clearance from the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to market the new Systane®iLux2® which will combine: high-resolution digital visualization, recording and media storage; a built-in near infrared meibography camera; and, white light surface imaging into a single, handheld, portable device. Practitioners who join the “No Reason to Wait” program by purchasing a Systane iLux will have exclusive access to upgrade to the Systane iLux2 at preferred pricing once it becomes available in late 2021.
“We are excited about the recent clearance of our Systane iLux2 innovation, which will put digital visualization, meibography and other key features into the hands of practitioners,” said Szaronos. “With a full suite of leading technology and implementation and retention programs now available, as well as peace-of-mind pathways to migrate to our next generation technology, we truly believe there is no reason to wait to start offering MGD procedures today.”
For more information, visit SystaneiLux.com, contact your Alcon sales representative or email us at [email protected].
Information on the Systane iLux MGD Thermal Pulsation System
The Systane iLux device is indicated for the application of localized heat and pressure therapy in adult patients with chronic disease of the eyelids, including Meibomian Gland Dysfunction (MGD), also known as evaporative eye. Please refer to the User Manual for a complete list of contraindications, instructions for use, warnings and precautions for the iLux device.
Cautionary Note Regarding Forward-Looking Statements
This press release contains “forward-looking statements” within the meaning of the safe harbor provisions of the United States Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Forward-looking statements can be identified by words such as: “anticipate,” “intend,” “commitment,” “look forward,” “maintain,” “plan,” “goal,” “seek,” “believe,” “project,” “estimate,” “expect,” “strategy,” “future,” “likely,” “may,” “should,” “will” and similar references to future periods.
Forward-looking statements are neither historical facts nor assurances of future performance. Instead, they are based only on our current beliefs, expectations and assumptions regarding the future of our business, future plans and strategies, and other future conditions. Because forward-looking statements relate to the future, they are subject to inherent uncertainties and risks that are difficult to predict. Some of these factors are discussed in our filings with the United States Securities and Exchange Commission, including our Form 20-F. In particular, our expectations could be affected by uncertainties regarding the success of our separation and spin-off from Novartis. Should one or more of these uncertainties or risks materialize, or should underlying assumptions prove incorrect, actual results may vary materially from those anticipated. Therefore, you should not rely on any of these forward-looking statements.
Forward-looking statements in this press release speak only as of the date of its filing, and we assume no obligation to update forward-looking statements as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.
- Tear Film and Ocular Surface Society (TFOS). TFOS DEWS II Report. http://www.tearfilm.org/dettreports-tfos_dew_ii_report/32_30/eng/. Published July 2017. Accessed May 9, 2018.
- Lemp MA, Crews LA, Bron AJ, Foulks GN, Sullivan BD. Distribution of aqueous-deficient and evaporative dry eye in a clinic-based patient cohort: a retrospective study. Cornea. 2012;31(5):472–478. doi:10.1097/ICO.0b013e318225415a.
- Alcon data on file, 2019.
- Alcon data on file, 2019.
Alcon helps people see brilliantly. As the global leader in eye care with a heritage spanning more than seven decades, we offer the broadest portfolio of products to enhance sight and improve people’s lives. Our Surgical and Vision Care products touch the lives of more than 260 million people in over 140 countries each year living with conditions like cataracts, glaucoma, retinal diseases and refractive errors. Our more than 20,000 associates are enhancing the quality of life through innovative products, partnerships with eye care professionals and programs that advance access to quality eye care. Learn more at www.alcon.com.
Alcon Media Relations
+1 (817) 615 5092 (direct)
+1 (817) 525 3409 (mobile)
Alcon Investor Relations
+41 589 112 110 (Geneva)
+1 817 615 2789 (Fort Worth)