Media release –
BCLA poster reveals contact lens wearers using a hydrogen peroxide-based contact lens solution from Alcon are more compliant than those using multi-purpose solutions
- New data on contact lens care compliance to be presented during the 2015 Annual Conference of the British Contact Lens Association, May 29-31, in Liverpool, UK
- Study shows contact lens wearers using a hydrogen peroxide-based solution from Alcon are more compliant in their lens care habits than with multi-purpose solutions1
- Additional findings suggest peroxide-based solution users are more likely to return to their eye care professional (ECP) for eye exams at shorter intervals and follow ECP brand recommendations1
Liverpool, UK, May 30, 2015 – Alcon, the global leader in eye care and a division of Novartis, announced the results of a multi-center survey comparing the compliance of contact lens wearers using multi-purpose solution in comparison to hydrogen peroxide-based solution from Alcon. The survey results will be presented at the 2015 Annual Conference of the British Contact Lens Association, May 29-31, in Liverpool, UK. In comparison to multi-purpose solution users, researchers found contact lens wearers using hydrogen peroxide-based solution from Alcon are more compliant in their lens care habits. Additional findings suggest hydrogen peroxide-based solution users return to their Eye Care Professional (ECP) for eye exams more frequently and continue to use the lens care brand recommended by their ECP.
"Contact lens care compliance is one of the most important components of healthy eyes for contact lens wearers," said Sarah Guthrie, PhD., Centre for Contact Lens Research, School of Optometry & Vision Science, University of Waterloo, Waterloo, Ontario. "Our study showed a distinct difference in the lens care habits of multi-purpose solutions users versus the hydrogen peroxide-based solution users."
- Patients and ECPs independently completed a questionnaire evaluating their contact lens wear and care. Lens wearers were using various multi-purpose solutions, a hydrogen peroxide-based solution from Alcon, or wearing daily disposable lenses. The survey collected general demographics, contact lens care practices, frequency of eye exams and various lens care behaviors, which were used to calculate a lens care compliance score ranging from 0 to 24. Of 9677 questionnaires received from 457 offices, 7856 were eligible for this analysis (daily disposable: 1079, hydrogen peroxide-based solution from Alcon: 912, multi-purpose solutions: 5827).
"This survey clearly demonstrates that contact lens wearers utilizing a hydrogen peroxide-based solution from Alcon are more compliant, return to their ECP for eye exams more frequently, and continue to use the lens care brand recommended by their ECP." said Dwight Akerman, OD, FAAO, FBCLA, Head, Global Professional Affairs Vision Care Franchise Management at Alcon.
- Guthrie, Sarah, PhD., Dumbleton, Kathy, PhD., and Jones, Lyndon, PhD., Is there a relationship between care system and compliance? Poster to be presented at the Annual Meeting for The British Contact Lens Association, May 29-31, in Liverpool, UK.
Alcon, the global leader in eye care, provides innovative products that enhance quality of life by helping people worldwide see better. Alcon’s three businesses, Surgical, Pharmaceutical and Vision Care, offer the widest spectrum of eye care products in the world. Alcon is the second largest division of the Novartis Group, with pro-forma sales of USD 10.8 billion in 2014.
Headquartered in Fort Worth, Texas, USA, Alcon has more than 25,000 employees worldwide, operations in 75 countries and products available in 180 markets.